Sunday, July 31, 2005

Week 5: Seeing Some Health Improvement

I fit in all 5 runs this week. I'm really beginning to feel the addiction on the rest days. I just want to run everyday. But, I know that that would be a good way to get injured. I haven't seen any weight loss yet, but I really don't expect any right now. My appetite is in check, but I still weigh about 217, which is about 3.5 lbs heavier than when I began the running program. I've done some investigating and it appears I'll begin to see some noticeable weight loss when I build my weekly base mileage up to about 20 mpw.

I've also been looking into heart monitors for training purposes. I've got my eye on what appears to be the best one, and that's the Polar S625X. I won't shell out the $350 for it, though, until I have achieved the 20 mpw base mileage that is one of my short term goals.

I took my blood pressure a couple days ago and my bp is no longer borderline (c. 130/80), but is around 120/80. Also, my resting heart rate has gone down from 65 to 59.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zek said...

Are you still running?

My wife & I just made a bet as to who can run a 5K faster in order to motivate ourselves more. If she wins she gets a black lab. If I win I pick the next car we buy.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Calvin said...

hello. i started my own running blog too. i run cross country and track. it's at http://prosperorunning.blogspot.com. Glad to see a fellow runner!

1:33 PM  
Blogger CelticDeath said...

Sorry, guys, I didn't realize anyone had left comments here (I don't maintain this blog as regularly as the other one, but I will be doing so shortly).

Christopher, good luck on your 5K! Are you one of those guys that can run in in sub-15:00? My best 5K race wasn't that great - around 30 minutes. However, back in 2002, I worked up to 20 mpw running and ran 3 miles in around 26:30 before developing plantar fasciitis (my middle child was born around that time, too, so it was years before I ran again). I hope to blow that away by next year. I plan to run in the local Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis in November. At this point, however, I'm only into my 7th straight week of running. So, I have a major hill to climb.

GK, I will check out your blog. I do love to run, but I'm not very fast. I'm built like a wrestler.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home