Monday, June 27, 2005

Day 1: And So It Begins

My schedule this week is to run 5 days with 7 repeats of 1 minute of running followed by 2 minutes of walking. I ran that today with my 7 year old daughter, who is in better shape than I. She had no problems with the run, and neither really did I, but she had a lot more energy and ran a lot faster than I did. My legs feel a little tired, but not really to bad. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's run.

I weighed myself this morning, too, and I was 216.5 fully clothed. That probably means I'm about 214 in the buff (sorry for the visual). I'm not planning on dieting as I train, so it will be interesting how much weight I'll lose just from the running.

My biggest fear right now is getting injured. I'm 38 years old, and I'll be 39 by the time I actually run the marathon. That, plus the fact that I developed plantar fasciitis 3 years ago when I last did a lot of running, has me a little concerned. I hope to avoid injury by sticking to a fairly easy pace in my base-building weeks. I know I'll develop a certain amount of speed just from the strengthening of my joints and muscles, as well as the weight loss, so I'll just have to be content with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger phorku said...

Yikes, I wouldn't be running with my bad feet, same age as you and 205#s. I do a lot of skating and biking to save my joints and back. I don't have any problems with my plantar fasciitis anymore after changing shoes often, babying them and stretching my calves. I found the easiest way to stretch was stand on the edge of the bath tub and alternate stretching each leg while brushing my teeth ;-) I hate wasting time... Hopefully we will get to play a 45 45 game though it will likely not be good for my team. You have a pretty impressive rating.
Take care.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home